Council Member Charlene Bybee, Ward 4
Charlene Bybee was elected to serve Ward 4 on the Sparks City Council in November 2014 and re-elected in 2018. Ms. Bybee is a lifelong Sparks resident who has been an active community leader for more than 30 years.
During her time as the President of the Junior League of Reno, she worked to raise awareness about domestic violence prevention and brought the “Silent Witness” project to the state of Nevada.
Ms. Bybee is passionate about education. She served as Parent Association President at her sons’ schools, and on numerous committees for the Washoe County School District, where she was named “WCSD Volunteer of the Month.” Council Member Bybee was an unpaid lobbyist at the Nevada Legislature for several sessions, speaking out for education reform and fiscal restraint.
Other community involvement includes serving on a United Way Fund Distribution Panel and as a member of the UNR Pack PAAWS Women’s Athletic Booster Board. She helped Sparks plan for the future by serving on the Sparks 2040 Master Plan Steering Committee and the City of Sparks Charter Committee.
Ms. Bybee is a 1976 graduate of the University of Nevada, Reno. She has worked as a flight attendant for American Airlines for 38 years. Charlene and her husband Bern have been married 34 years and have two sons.
Am I in this ward? View the interactive ward map to find out!
Boards and Commissions:
- Capital Funding Protection Committee
- Community Homelessness Advisory Board (Alternate)
- EDAWN, Board of Directors
- Oversight Committee for School Facilities
- Redevelopment Agency, Chair
- Regional Planning Governing Board
- Regional Transportation Commission (RTC) (Alternate #2)
- Tourism Facilities & Revitalization Steering Committee
- Western Nevada Development District (Alternate)
- National League of Cities, Transportation and Infrastructure Services Committee