Small Business Assistance Fund Program
City of Sparks Small Business Assistance Fund Program
The application period is now closed and all funding allocated for the program will be awarded soon.
The City of Sparks is happy to announce our Small Business Assistance Fund Program. This program is funded by the City of Sparks with funds received from the Coronavirus Relief Fund of the CARES Act. Below is information about requirements and how to apply.
Application Process and Requirements
- Applications must be submitted via ZoomGrants. (Link will go live on 10/19/2020)
- (Click on ZoomGrants link to be taken to the application process).
- Application period is 10/19/2020 through 11/2/2020, subject to funding availability.
- One application under each corporate entity may apply for funds.
Working Capital and Retrofit Grants:
- Less than five employees
- Five to 19 employees
- Twenty to 50 employees
PPE Grants– Businesses with up to 50 employees can receive funds up to $5,000 based on eligible receipts for items already purchased and not previously reimbursed.
A full review of the grant application will be conducted after receipt of ALL the following:
- Summary of business operations prior to COVID-19 and what has happened to date.
- This must show that there has been a financial hardship, through a monthly 2020 Profit & Loss (P&L) or a P&L comparison to 2019 for the same time period.
- For businesses that have less than five employees and do not have a P&L, monthly business bank statements are acceptable.
- Documentation for PPE, retrofits or any items already paid for – receipts and/or invoices with cancelled checks that match uses of funds reimbursement section*.
- Copy of current State of Nevada business license.
- Copy of current City of Sparks business license.
- W-9 Form Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification.
- Copy of photo identification for U.S. citizen or legal residence card for non-U.S. citizen.
*If requesting grant funding for future expenses, the City of Sparks may require a copy of those receipts and/or invoices and cancelled checks before 12/30/2020.
Program Criteria and Guidelines:
- Business must have active State of Nevada and City of Sparks business licenses.
- Business must be physically located within the corporate boundary of the City of Sparks.
- Business was legally established and operating as of January 1, 2020, and can demonstrate it had generated substantive revenue prior to March 15, 2020.
- Business must provide summary of business operations prior to COVID-19 and what has happened to date. Documentation must demonstrate that there has been a financial hardship, through a monthly 2020 Profit & Loss Statement (P&L) Statement or a P&L comparison to 2019 for the same time period.
- Business must submit a plan of how the funds will be utilized.
- Business that received SBA funding (Economic Injury Disaster Loans & Payroll Protection Program) can apply.
Eligible Uses of Grant Funds
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Protective business facility retrofits
- Working capital – including utilities, payroll not covered by Payroll Protection Program, inventory, etc.
Ineligible Uses of Grant Funds
- A business that receives the State of Nevada Grant for Commercial Rental Assistance may NOT use these any of these funds for the same rent payment.
- Grant recipients will NOT directly or indirectly loan the grant funds to a third party.
- Federally Prohibited Businesses (e.g., cannabis).
- Adult oriented businesses.
- Businesses with more than 50 employees.
- Businesses with Federal or State of Nevada tax liens.
- Non-profit organizations.
Grant applications will be processed when received but applications will not be approved prior to the conclusion of week one of the application period (10/26/2020).
If the amount of funds requested during week one of the application period exceeds the City’s available funds, the City reserves the right to prioritize applications or conduct a lottery to award funds. No application will be awarded grant funds until all required documentation is received.
If you are having trouble submitting your application due to issues with an address / EIN/ or other technical issues, please reach out to the ZoomGrants tech support by clicking the ‘Help’ button in the upper right hand corner of your account, or email email@example.com. Please make sure to provide the name of the program and your application name and number in order for them to help.
Currently, approximately $869,000 is available for grants to businesses. The City reserves the right to change the amount of grant funding available to businesses.