Parks and Recreation Registration Information
All registrations (unless otherwise indicated) are handled through the Parks and Recreation Department Office, the Alf Sorensen Community Center (for classes held there and adult sports leagues), and at the Larry D. Johnson Community Center (for programs and classes held at the facility). Classes fill up quickly. Early registration is advised. Registration is on a first-come, first-serve basis, and all fees are due and payable upon registration. Unless indicated, fees are for the entire session, rather than on a per class basis.
VIEW AVAILABLE CLASSES AND INFORMATION IN OUR ACTIVITY GUIDE!
VISA, MASTERCARD and DISCOVER are accepted.
WE E-MAIL RECEIPTS
In an effort to decrease costs, registration receipts are e-mailed. Receipts can be accessed/printed through our online registration system at under “Account Statements” by logging in HERE.
FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE AVAILABLE FOR RECREATION REGISTRATION FEES
We offer youth scholarship assistance to cover program fees for children who cannot otherwise participate in programs due to financial limitations. Please call the Recreation Office at (775) 353-2376 to learn more about this special program.
Available for all programs, unless otherwise noted.
• Parks and Recreation Office Fax: 353-2401
• Alf Sorensen Community Center Fax: 353-2418
• Larry D. Johnson Community Center Fax: 353-7782
Available for all programs, unless otherwise noted.
• Parks and Recreation Office: 353-2376
• Alf Sorensen Community Center: 353-2385
• Larry D. Johnson Community Center: 353-7780
Available for all programs, unless otherwise noted. You must register for aquatics programs and adult sports leagues at the Alf Sorensen Community Center.
• Parks and Recreation Office, 98 Richards Way. Office hours are 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Monday – Thursday.
• Alf Sorensen Community Center, 1400 Baring Blvd.
• Larry D. Johnson Community Center, 1200 12th St.
NOTE: The majority of programs offered are self-supporting. The fees collected from these programs are not intended for profit. The fees cover the costs of providing necessary supplies and staff to run said programs.
In an effort to provide quality programming in a professional manner, the Sparks Parks and Recreation Department reserves the right to cancel, postpone or combine classes, events or programs, or change instructors as needed. In the event a class, event or program is cancelled by the city for any reason prior to the start date, a full refund will be issued. If there is an unplanned cancellation of a single class, the class will be rescheduled whenever possible. If it cannot be rescheduled, a prorated refund for the class will be issued. Allow approximately 2-4 weeks for processing. In order to expedite the processing of a request, please provide your original program receipt.
Following are the terms and conditions of our cancellation policy:
- Cancellation requests may be made in person or by phone at the Recreation Office (98 Richards Way, 775.353.2376), Alf Sorensen Community Center (1400 Baring Blvd., 775.353.2385), Larry D. Johnson Community Center (1200 12th Street, 775.353.7780), or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The cancellation request form can be downloaded HERE at sparksrec.com, or obtained at any community center.
- A cancellation request form must be received no later than the business day (M-F) prior to the session start date. Completion and submittal of said form does not guarantee request will be approved. All requests must go through an approval process.
- A full refund may be granted if a cancellation request form is submitted a minimum of 14 days prior to the program start date. If a cancellation request form is submitted less than 14 days prior to the program start date, the refund will be issued as a household credit only, less a $3 processing fee. Exceptions may be made due to a verified medical issue. (Verification must be attached to the request).
- The $3 processing fee will be deducted from the original registration fee paid and applied to each cancellation request made.
- Household credit on account must be applied to balance due before other payment methods will be accepted. Household credits will be refunded quarterly by check to the address on file. Exceptions to this may be reviewed and approved by the Director of Parks and Recreation or his/her designee.
- No refund checks will be issued if a registration is paid by credit card.
- No refunds or prorating will be offered for classes missed by a participant for any reason other than documented medical issues/family emergencies. These may be considered on a case-by-case basis by the program supervisor and/or Director of Parks and Recreation.
- Kids Out-of-School Programs: No refund or credit will be given for any part of a session, daily or weekly, once it has begun. No credit will be given for same-day notice of absence. A household credit will be given for delayed starts or cancelled school days that are the result of bad weather or a Washoe County School District decision.
- Team Rostered Programs: A cancellation request form must be received one week prior to the date when schedules become available. No refunds will be given on a team rostered program once the schedules have been printed.
- Park Rentals: Rentals cancelled within 60 days of the reservation date will be refunded all paid fees minus a $25 admin fee. Rentals cancelled within 30 days of the reservation date will be refunded all paid fees minus a $50 reservation fee and a $25 admin fee. Day-of cancellations due to inclement weather or documented air quality issues must be verified and approved by the Director of Parks and Recreation or his/her designee. All paid fees will be refunded minus a $50 reservation fee and a $25 admin fee.
- Facility Rentals: Rentals cancelled no later than 30 days prior to the rental date will be refunded all paid fees minus the reservation deposit, insurance (if applicable) and admin fee. Cancellation of rentals under 30 days forfeit all fees.
- Field Rentals: Cancellation must be made 30 days in advance for full refund/credit. A $15 admin fee will be applied to cancellations/changes made between 8 days and 29 days. No refund/credit for cancellations/changes made 7 days or less.