Most recent updates

  • All
  • Committees
  • Departments
  • FAQs
  • News
  • Resources
  • Events

{{item.title | truncate 40}}

{{item.description | truncate 130}}

{{item.categories.join(', ')}}
Sorry, there are no results matching your criteria.
Menu Close

Passport – Minor Application Requirements


New Passport Applications and Passport Renewals for Minors under the age of 16 must include the following items:


1. Completed (but not signed) Passport Application Form (DS-11). [Download Form]
The application must be completed in black ink. Please do not use corrective tape or fluid to correct errors on the form. If you make a mistake, draw a single line through the error and make your correction.  Forms must be printed single sided and should not be cropped.
NOTE: Form is in PDF format – Click here to download Adobe® Acrobat Reader

2.Child’s Proof Of United States Citizenship Or Nationality

If you were born in the United States you must submit:
♦ Certified original birth certificate – birth certificates must contain the name of the parent(s)

NOTICE:  California abstract birth certificates, hospital birth certificates, or birth certificates that do not list birth parent’s name(s) are not accepted.

If you were born in a foreign country you must submit:

♦ Original certificate of naturalization or citizenship, or
♦ Previous U.S. passport, or
♦ Proof of derivative citizenship.

*All citizenship documents will be sent directly to the U.S Department of State with your passport application.   They will be returned when the passport has been issued.

3. Present evidence that you are the parents or guardians
♦The child’s certified birth certificate showing both parents’ names, or
♦Certified court order of guardianship

4. Show valid identification for BOTH parents
♦ Current driver’s license, or
♦ Recently issued certificate of naturalization, or valid passport
♦ Recently issued government ID card.

NOTICE: If your driver’s license is not “Real ID” compliant, or states, “NOT FOR FEDERAL OFFICIAL USE”, you will be required to provide additional secondary identification.

5. Photographs – One 2″ x 2″ square photo, full faced with plain white or off-white background, no glasses.
Passport photos are available at Sparks City Hall for $15

6. Passport Fee –The State Department portion of the passport fee must be paid by check or money order only. 
The City of Sparks Fee can be paid by check or money order, cash or credit card (Visa/MC/Discover). Please visit our Passport Fee’s page for additional information.

If both parents cannot appear in person – The non-appearing parent may complete form DS-3053 authorizing the other parent to apply for the child’s passport. All DS-3053 forms must be filled out in black ink, must be notarized and must include a legible photocopy of the front and back of the non-appearing parent’s valid driver’s license or government issued ID. Click here for Form DS-3053