Sparks City Council Highlights March 22, 2021
Sparks, NV – The following are highlights from the March 22, 2021 Sparks City Council Meeting.
Announcements, Presentations, Recognition Items and Items of Special Interest:
- Sparks City Manager Neil Krutz announced the following boards and commission vacancy. Applicants are encouraged to apply at cityofsparks.us/getinvolved.
- One vacancy on the Sparks Civil Services Commission for a partial term ending June 30, 2023. Members cannot be City of Sparks employees. Applications will be accepted until Friday, March 26, 2021 at 5:00 pm.
- Council heard a presentation from Dr. Krishna Pagilla, University of Nevada, Reno regarding the presence of the COVID-19 virus in wastewater and community prevalence monitoring.
- Council proclaimed the month of April as National Donate Life Month and encouraged all Nevadans to become organ donors by signing up at www.donornetworkwest.org.
- Council approved the building official’s recommendation to appoint Mark DeWeese and Don Mackey as the registered architect and the building/superintendent representatives on the Building Code Board of Appeals, with terms ending March 31, 2023.
- Council approved the mayor’s recommendation to appoint Clara Andriola to the Sparks Planning Commission for a partial term ending December 31, 2021.
- Council accepted a $10,000.00 grand from the Ozmen Foundation to assist with design and construction costs for the Sparks Marina All-Abilities Playground.
- Council adopted a resolution to augment the Fiscal Year 21 Capital Projects Funds, Enterprise Funds and Internal Service Fund by $12,887,175.00 to provide appropriations for capital projects approved but not completed in prior years.
- Council approved $59,844.46 to purchase play equipment for Jack Reviglio Memorial Park from BCI Burke Company, LLC.
- Council approved a $355,892.00 construction contract with Group West Construction, Inc. for a Sparks City Hall Remodel Project. The project includes a new customer service counter and mailroom, additional customer service staff space, and remodeled areas in the payroll, finance and IT departments.
- Council approved a $166,649.00 construction contract with Group West Construction for a remodel project at the Sparks Police Department Dispatch center.
- Council approved a $120,045.00 professional services contract with JUB Engineers, Inc., for the engineering design of the McCarran Boulevard and Prater Way Sanitary Sewer Improvements Project.
- Council approved a change order for the Fiscal Year 20 Sanitary Sewer Manhole Rehabilitation Project with National Coating and Lining Co., to provide for rehabilitation of 100 manholes for a total contract amount of $870,366.00.
- Council approved a $93,000.00 professional services contract with Farr West Engineers for the engineering design of the Fiscal Year 21 Cured-in-Place Pipe Sewer Rehabilitation Project.
- Council approved a $51,110.00 agreement with Truckee Meadows Water Authority for the lease of water rights to satisfy reclaimed water return flow requirements for the Truckee River.
- Council approved the Tentative Map for a 356-lot townhome and detached single-family subdivision on 52.07 acres within the Stonebrook zoning district located off of Pyramid Way and La Posada Drive in Sparks.
- Council heard the first reading to amend the final approved plan for Legends at the Sparks Marina to modify certain sign, landscape and development standards associated with the buffer wall along the western boundary of the site.