City of Sparks Celebrates Older Americans Month
Sparks, NV – May is Older Americans Month and the city of Sparks is proud to collaborate with the Washoe County Human Services Agency, the city of Reno and the Regional Transportation Commission to bring many informative and fun-filled events to celebrate our seniors throughout the month of May. This year’s theme is Connect, Create, Contribute, recognizing the key role seniors play in the vitality of our neighborhoods, networks and lives. Some of the key events in Sparks include:
- Tomorrow, May 7 from 9 am to 2:00 pm, seniors are encouraged to attend the Remembering When: Fire and Fall Prevention Faire at Baldini’s Casino (865 S. Rock Blvd, 2nd floor, Sierra Room). This free event, sponsored by Baldinis and the Sparks Fire Department, will have information booths, food and giveaways.
- May 11 is Senior Day at the Sparks Museum where seniors can learn about the history of downtown Sparks. The walking tour includes 18 buildings and spots that have played an important role in the history and development of Sparks and Nevada. The tour begins at 10:00 am.
- May 16, from 2:00 to 3:00 pm, Washoe County District Attorney Chris Hicks and Chief Investigator Michelle Bays will be guest speakers at the Sparks Library (1125 12th St., Sparks).
- May 22, Sparks Police Chief Brian Allen will chat with seniors from 2:30 to 3:30 pm at the Larry D. Johnson Community Center (1200 12th St., Sparks) about how the Sparks Police Department can assist them.
- May 23, Sparks Fire Inspector James Recob will discuss fire protection and fall prevention at the Sparks Library (1125 12th, Sparks).
- May 30, Washoe County Sheriff Darin Balaam will speak to seniors from 2:00 to 3:00 pm at the Spanish Springs Library (7100 Pyramid Way).
This year’s Stuff A Bus Event will be held in front of Sam’s Club on Kietzke Lane from on May 23 and 24 from 3:00 to 7:00 pm. The public is invited to drop off new, unused items for seniors such as jackets, fans, coats, sweatpants, toiletries, grocery or pet store gift cards and transit passes. And, throughout May, seniors can learn line-dancing, shuffleboard, pickleball, yoga and even how to cook authentic Thai Food. For a full list of events throughout Sparks, Reno and Washoe County, please click here: https://www.washoecounty.us/seniorsrv/files/2019%20OAM%20Booklet.pdf