Sparks Hometowne Christmas Parade Winners Announced
Washoe County Library System was the high-point winner at the 2018 Sparks Hometowne Christmas Parade
Thousands of people and 92 entries packed into the staging areas off Pyramid and Victorian to line up for the annual Sparks Hometowne Christmas Parade. The event, Saturday December 3, was attended by an estimated crowd of 15,000.
Each parade entrant was judged for theme, originality, personality and presentation. The judging categories were Best Over-all, Business, Vehicle Group, Animals Group, Community Group, Costumed Group, Marching Band, and Float.
The judges were representatives of our great state:
- Don Gustavson, Nevada State Senator
- Tony Manfredi, Nevada Arts Council Executive Director
- Bruce Breslow, Public Utilities Commission/Former Sparks Mayor
- Best Overall: Washoe County Library System
- Best Float: Girl Scouts of the Sierra Nevada
- Best Marching Band: Mayor’s Own Marching Band
- Best Animal Entry: Washoe County 4-H Horse Program
- Best Vehicle Entry: Vintage Fords of Northern Nevada
- Best Community Group: Sparks Kiwanis
- Best Business Entry: Chase International Real Estate
- Best Costume Group: Jenny’s School of Dance
Washoe County Library System won overall with the most points. They will have the opportunity to lead the parade in 2018. The winners will be recognized at a January City Council meeting.
Winner of the Sparks Gives Back Challenge was Patricia Marquez. She held a fundraiser for veterans. The Sparks Gives Back Challenge encouraged citizens to give back during the holiday season. To win the 2018 VIP package, which includes a cushy living room set to watch the parade, people were encouraged to post random acts of kindness with the hashtag #Sparksgivesback. Patrica’s entry was chosen at random.